Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 and Windows 7 64bit
Post Reply    New Topic    New Topic  
Author  Message

shadesofalan
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 at 12:11:56 AM | IP Logged

Was a member of this website about 3-4 years ago but got real busy in real life and stopped playing. So I decided that things have settled down and wanted to get back into the golf sim again but things haven't gone well. First I did read where some on this site are playing the 08 on Windows 7 with no problems...ok some things needed to be worked out but they are pursuing that white menace around, under and over lucious fairways and rough. So I load the program and it loads fine and starts up fine then the luck of the Irish didn't work, yes I click on to play now and I am greeted with a black screen and a white glove. OK that means game running but graphics now rendering sure enough check tskmgr and yep running...Uggghh. So I shutdown game restart and same problem..Yikes wondering could this be my HD 6870 graphic cards in crossfire too much for the 5 year old technology. Being the tech I am I decide to load VirtualBox and run it on Windows XP knowing it works fine on that OS. Load the game just fine but...Yep u guessed it... the game may not run on the graphics you have setup. Now that maybe the virtual box which really just actually renders graphics in 3D but don't believe it runs from your actual graphics card. Anyway removed that program and I am debating about partitioning the 1TB hard drive I have on board and setting up Windows XP on that and believe me I am debating because I know how much more work that will take :( Anyways just wondering if others might have had this problem and have some insight on either running it on Windows 7 64bit or the on going debate about partition and Windows XP. Thanks in advanced for reading this rather long explanation and for throwing out any information my way it will be appreciated.

Specs of System:

Crosshair V Formula Motherboard
FX 8350 AMD 8 core Processor
16GB DDR3 GSkill 1600 Ram
2 x HD 6870 XFX Graphic Cards in Crossfire
Corsair 600T Case with H100i water cooling
OCZ 248GB SSD, 1TB Seagate HDD, Samsung 830 120GB SSD (Games Loaded Here)
Ultra 850W Modular Power Supply
System built by the head Nerd of Nerdz4Rent uhh that would be me :) 

Stylar
General Member
South Africa

B-Day: 11/16/1981 (42)

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2013 at 12:27:31 AM | IP Logged

Hi there

I saw on your pc specs that you running 2 graphic cards in crossfire mode.Tiger woods 08 doesnt support crossfire or SLI mode(Nvidia).I think this is defintely your problem because
I also once tried to run game in SLI mode with exactly the same results===black and white screens,after i checked the tiger woods documentation i saw that the SLI mode is the problem.
Hope this clears up your problem. 

Stylar Signature

Motherboard-Asus ROG Strix X570-E/CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16 Core 4.9 Ghz/GPU-Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 12GB GDDR6/RAM-Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 (2 x 16GB)/HD-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVME SSD+4GB Samsung 870 EVO SSD/PSU-Cooler Master V750.

shadesofalan
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2013 at 11:29:54 AM | IP Logged

Stylar figured out the situation wasn't really the factor of crossfire or SLI in my case it was the resolution size within the game with my setup of 1920x1080 the game allowed something like 1440x960 which the graphics had a problem with dropped to 1024x768 which worked just fine. Thought I would let that be known good to be able to chase that white ball virtually as I do in real time...lol Thanks 

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 11/18/1961 (62)

Posted: Sunday, May 18, 2014 at 3:27:19 PM | IP Logged

Since switching to W7 (64 bit) from XP on the same system and video card (NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO 512) I've run into a very interesting symptom. I've researched thoroughly and understand that the 1920 rez may be a problem, but reducing it on my desktop didn't clear this up. I have switchyed back and forth between 2010 drivers and 2014 drivers for this card, but to no avail, even while re-installing the game at various junctures. What happens is on start-up I can hear the menu music, but black screen. Go to open task manager, then cancel and I can see the screen. I can set-up a game, but won't see the loading screen. It will enter the given course, but black screen w/ white glove indicator. Do the task manager/cancel operation twice, and I'm in game normally. I even activated the wide screen "fix" and it looks and performs normally, except the overhead screen doesn't show immediately, but it will show after a few shots. It seems that this is largely tied to the graphics card, but it makes no sense that "old" drivers that made it run perfectly on XP has this compatibility problem on W7 (and yes, changed the compatability options and "run as administrator" selections as well). 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 at 12:20:34 PM | IP Logged

Hiya, i remember i had something similar with TW05 on Win7.
I installed a small program called: Fraps, and after that it worked perfect.
Maybe worth to try it, read my post about fraps on link below, i think you should try it with TW08:

http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?post=8370&bookmark= 

jbcalg
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 4/1/1969 (55)

Posted: Monday, May 19, 2014 at 2:08:10 PM | IP Logged

shadesofalan said:
"...in my case it was the resolution size within the game with my setup of 1920x1080 the game allowed something like 1440x960 which the graphics had a problem with dropped to 1024x768 which worked just fine...."

daflyboys said:
"... but reducing it on my desktop didn't clear this up."

did you change the resolution IN GAME like shadesofalan ?

graphics drivers - suggest go with what worked before
updating drivers unless they specifically fix something for you is counter productive
it's an old card, doubt the generic driver updates pumped out by Nvidea are oging to do anything for it - but check the README file to be sure 

jbcalg Signature

========
JBCalg
Self Promotion doesnt make it so
========

yesrushdt
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 10:04:06 AM | IP Logged

edited by: yesrushdt on Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 10:07:00 AM

daflyboys said:
"Since switching to W7 (64 bit) from XP on the same system and video card (NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GSO 512) I''ve run into a very interesting symptom. I''ve researched thoroughly and understand that the 1920 rez may be a problem, but reducing it on my desktop didn''t clear this up. I have switchyed back and forth between 2010 drivers and 2014 drivers for this card, but to no avail, even while re-installing the game at various junctures. What happens is on start-up I can hear the menu music, but black screen. Go to open task manager, then cancel and I can see the screen. I can set-up a game, but won''t see the loading screen. It will enter the given course, but black screen w/ white glove indicator. Do the task manager/cancel operation twice, and I''m in game normally. I even activated the wide screen "fix" and it looks and performs normally, except the overhead screen doesn''t show immediately, but it will show after a few shots. It seems that this is largely tied to the graphics card, but it makes no sense that "old" drivers that made it run perfectly on XP has this compatibility problem on W7 (and yes, changed the compatability options and "run as administrator" selections as well)."

I''m having pretty much the exact same problem. I was running TW08 fine on my old Windows 7 64 bit PC with a Nvidia Geforce 8800 Ultra. I just built a new PC with the same Windows 7 64 bit operating system however now I''m using the Geforce Titan Black. I''ve tried some current games like The Evil Within and Alien Isolaton and they run fine. Tiger Woods 08 and some older games give me just sound and nothing but a black screen now. Some older games run ok in windowed mode, however TW08 doesn''t offer a windowed mode. Any help with this frustrating situation would be greatly appreciated. I''ve tried everything daflyboys did. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 10:26:57 AM | IP Logged

Sometimes the older graphics drivers are working better for Tw08, some people reverted to an older driver for their graphics cards.
You are using Geforce 700 Titan Black, that is a pretty new card, so i don t think you can go back to very old drivers.
I believe there are about 10 released drivers so far.
When you want to try an older driver, you can go to link below:
http://www.geforce.com/drivers

yesrushdt
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 12:03:43 PM | IP Logged

edited by: yesrushdt on Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 2:29:00 PM

Much thanks for your quick reply and suggestion. Installing the February 2014 drivers did the trick. Only problem is this version doesn''t have an SLI mode option for my two cards. Hopefully the next oldest one does. Would be nice if Nvidia addressed this issue in future updates.

Edit: Turns out it was related to the antialiasing setting I had chosen and not the latest driver version. So, thankfully, I can finally play TW08 on my new PC and have the SLI enabled too. :) 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Sunday, November 2, 2014 at 2:30:50 PM | IP Logged

Nice, good news you got it working 

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 11/18/1961 (62)

Posted: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 4:23:11 PM | IP Logged

I learned from some seasoned players that the solution to my problem was very simple (and yes, I agree that older drivers can trump newer ones).

*Simply left click on your shortcut game icon and choose "properties".
*Click on the Compatibility tab.
*Check box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and choose "Windows XP (SP3)".
*Under "Settings" (on same tab), check box for "Disable desktop composition".
*Under "Privilege Level" (same tab), check box for "Run this program as an administrator".

When you start the game, you screen may flash and you'll get a message in your lower right part of your screen indicating that your system is changing the color scheme. This is actually good that you might get this. 

There are 2 active members online
DIC7704, Gunpower61,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 and Windows 7 64bit - Page 1 Loaded in 0.188 seconds
Friday, April 19, 2024 @ 9:27:44 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.