New architects -- constuctive comments
Post Reply    New Topic    New Topic  
Author  Message

huntingleopa
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 at 9:32:59 AM | IP Logged

Weve all been there... we were all newbies at one point... as both players and/or architects....

Architects, do you remember your first course?

Players, what did you shoot the first time you played?

This game takes time to master, and the architect is quite unstable as we know.... so its hard to make a masterpiece from the start. So, as a reminder... keep your comments constructive.

Thanks!

huntingleopa
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 at 9:42:37 AM | IP Logged

Early tips for architects.... others please feel free to add to this:

1. If you see creases in your courses, happens a lot in bunkers... you have over optimized. A good tip is to smooth those areas out again. You may need to raise or lower the terrain some to get the crease completely gone.

2. If you are going for realism, make sure your pins are playable. The means all 4 pins are reasonable on very dry settings. Not doing this frustrates many people. If you are going for fantasy, its a good idea to comment that in the course deion, so people can anticipate the challenge. If you are going for real, flatten a 5-6 foot area to average around the pins and then smooth out some. It gives a sort of landing area near the pin that plays reasonably.

3. Make sure all five tees on each hole are flat. A good idea is to take the tee, use it as a shape, expand it by 10 feet. Flatten to average. Expand by another 10-15 feet and smooth twice at four clicks over. The tee will stay flat but the surrounding terrain will be smooth. You may need to use more or less clicks and different sizes, but youll get the hang of it.

4. Make sure trees dont block the tee shot dramatically (again, only on realistic courses). You can have a tree or trees that make someone want to draw/fade of course, thats good stategy.

5. Textures are your choice of course... but look at the stock courses and other custom courses you like. Really bright, dramatic changes arent well received. Also, if you green texture isnt sharp, expert players will not enjoy it because its hard to read blurry greens on expert (no grid).

6. Playability is up to you. If you want small greens, big greens, tight fairways, wide fairways, have fun. However, forcing someone to carry 250 yards to fairway may be hard to sell with potential winds. Keep the carries reasonable or provide bail out areas.

All that said, I have plenty of time to get better myself I am just trying to summarize the comments Ive seen from others on my and others courses.

Oh most important have fun! If someone doesnt like your course but you had fun than shake it off and design some more. 

JSJarvis
Site Admin
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 10/19/1971 (52)

Posted: Monday, October 18, 2004 at 11:50:10 AM | IP Logged

There is a max number it can see, although I am not sure what that number is. There is a way you can cloak some of your unneeded libraries so the CA will not see them. You will need to use the Cloak Tool available at Jorgens web site:

SHARKMEAT
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 6/11/1942 (81)

Posted: Wednesday, February 2, 2005 at 6:58:38 PM | IP Logged

I noticed in the last few courses downloaded and installed of new designers, seems to be all 2D layouts, not any 3D Graphic,s that 2k5 was made for, the courses look like a sheet of paper laying on the floor. The older disigner courses are fine, but some of the new designers should ask around for help because to me they need alot of understanding of 3D imaging of the CA to get the 3D looks when playing the course. The colors looked good, but thats about all I can say. I no they put alot of time into the course, and maybe they should get some beta testing in befor uploading there newcourse. I,m not knowking any ones course just pointing out what I seen when I played the course I installed and played,If I was playing 2K1 I could understand, but this is 2k5. SM 

hawkeye143
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 5/2/1946 (77)

Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2005 at 7:53:38 PM | IP Logged

Hello Hawkeye143 Here

I would love to know where to go what to use to design my course like the rest of you great designers, but sure what to do who can help me please. Do I use the program that came with woods 2005 or something else. And how do I get started I know a lot of questions sorry.

Thank You
Nichol as Giannetto (aka)hawkeye143

huntingleopa
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 at 2:53:02 PM | IP Logged

Sorry for the slow repsonse. Basically, to flatten anything, right click on the texture and say use as shape. Expand it two feet (maybe more or less depending on the size of the texture). Flatten to minimum. Expand it another foot or two. Then smooth the the left most click. Repeat if needed, but that should work. There are better tutorials out there and I havent used 2005 much so it may not work as well there (but it should). 

kevindavis
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 2/9/1987 (37)

Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 at 4:28:51 PM | IP Logged

i used to design for 00>03 and had a course designed for 03 that i never released... im working on it now but i am having some probs with the overheads on the doglegs like hypno said up there...
Can u explain that again please?

also the 3-d designing thing when u say the course needs highs and lows u just mean elevation changes ie downhill holes etc.??

thanks
Kevin 

medsnman
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 7/29/1964 (59)

Posted: Wednesday, January 4, 2006 at 12:28:22 PM | IP Logged

thanx for the constructive advice leopard...the golfgods only know how many times the CA has crashed on me and my puterdesk(s) know all too well my frustration with it! (just cracked my desk with my fist a month ago LOL) but sound advice on the smoothing technique! just need a better way of keeping CA from busting my chops n crashing on me! (used greek isle lib for a texture this yr n got that infamous !!!PLACEHOLDER LIBRARY DO NOT delete!!! lovely msg again! did un/reinstall twice n finally got things back after changing the old textures to a viable text. the CA would read b4 saving again. 

gene
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

B-Day: 10/8/1965 (58)

Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 2:13:02 PM | IP Logged

well ive just uploaded a course,,i think it plays well even though its made from the wizard to start. 1 thing i have noticed is people seem determined to add things like walls and borders to bunkers, well here in the uk ive played hundreds of courses in my time and seen very few walled or edged bunkers.I hope nobody says i should sort the bunkers,,to me they look more realistic left rough with no edges.

Hitsmore
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 6:36:10 PM | IP Logged

The CA is the only way to produce a course compatible with the game. EA
uses a high end software package I believe to do their work but it cost
thousands of dollars. 

brucemcisaac
General Member
No User Image
Canada

B-Day: 12/27/1956 (67)

Posted: Thursday, May 25, 2006 at 1:33:30 AM | IP Logged

It is true that the programs EA/ Headgate use are far superior to those used by us ...but this does not mean the CA is not a good prgm. Nor this does not mean that they have no crashes / data corrupted designs.

brucemcisaac Signature

My best day at work still dont beat my worst day on the links

There are 1 active members online
Bobby Bolin,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - New architects -- constuctive comments - Page 1 Loaded in 0.203 seconds
Saturday, April 20, 2024 @ 6:50:55 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.