Post Reply    New Topic  
Author  Message

DFELD2005
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 1:20:53 PM | IP Logged

edited by: DFELD2005 on Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 2:27:00 PM

Anyone on here ever tried to install TW 2001 on a Win 10 system ???
I am inspired to try playing it again by the detailed discussion of TW99 on this forum by mardybear. And by the generous posting of 100''s of homebrew courses by TruBluMich. At this Forum link:
http://www.coursedownloads.com/forum/posts.asp?thepage=1&post=9332&bookmark=#0

I installed the complete game on my Win 10 computer. I am aware that CD1 must be in the drive for the game to run. (I am also aware of a variety of NoCD fixes from many years ago.) I can get the game to play fairly well using Compatibility Settings for Win 98/Win Me.

My one problem is the game will not recognize any additional courses that I add to the Courses directory. These can be official EA courses (from the CA2001 Disk) or from the TruBluMich links. I am aware to make sure the folder name exactly matches the name of the internal "viv" file.

DFELD2005
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, August 4, 2020 at 11:36:29 AM | IP Logged

edited by: DFELD2005 on Thursday, August 6, 2020 at 7:38:00 AM

My obsession with TW2001 inspired me to try using Oracle VirtualBox with a Win98-SE installation.
https://archive.org/download/Windows98vdi

I fixed the audio stuttering (in Win98) by adjusting the media playback to minimum enhancements. 

mardybear
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 2:58:35 PM | IP Logged

Hi DFELD2005. Since not using anything newer than Windows XP can't test but doesn't Windows 10 introduce more file ownership and permissions features. Not sure about the courses, they should surely be recognized, especially if the game is otherwise working, query just a file ownership/permissions issue?

You may not get much help here running this older Tiger Woods release, looked at screenshots looks pretty good by the way. Personally still like the older series and hope to get back to my Tiger Woods 99 some day. You could try posting on Vogons, they have a dedicated Windows OS sub-forum 'Getting old Windows games working'.
https://www.vogons.org/ 

mardybear
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 4:30:43 PM | IP Logged

DFELD2005:
My one problem is the game will not recognize any additional courses that I add to the Courses directory. These can be official EA courses (from the CA2001 Disk) or from the TruBluMich links. I am aware to make sure the folder name exactly matches the name of the internal "viv" file.

Any success? Pasting below in case it helps. If, as you say no extra courses work, then probably not. Anyway beware nested course directories, common issue when using ZIP files.

Some courses won't work without modifying the course directory. Review how to
install Tiger Woods 99-2001 courses. Ensure the unzipped course folder name
matches exactly the course's *.viv file name, including any spaces or
underscores. Also ensure there are no nested sub-directories:

- Correct: course_folder -> content containing *.viv file.

- Incorrect: course_folder -> course_folder -> content containing *.viv file.

DFELD2005
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 1:10:37 PM | IP Logged

edited by: DFELD2005 on Sunday, September 13, 2020 at 2:48:00 PM

Hi mardybear,
I tried several variations of installing my original copies of TW99 and TW01 on a variety of new & old PC''s (all Win 10), with all the possible Compatibility settings. For every installation that worked, I could never add additional courses (EA and user created). I am aware of the folder naming matching the viv file naming. Etc. Thanks for sharing that tip.

BUT, I could successfully install TW99 and TW01 using Oracle VirtualBox with a Win98-SE installation. And the same course additions were ALL recognized (Yay!) https://archive.org/download/Windows98vdi

BUT THEN, the mouse timings were not great and I could only make about 50% satisfactory golf swings.
I decided to move on from this frustrating project and spend more time on improving my golfing skills in TW06 and TW08.

Best Wishes 

There are 1 active members online
findizzle,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Tiger Woods 2001 ? - Page 1 Loaded in 0.172 seconds
Thursday, April 18, 2024 @ 1:04:00 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.