Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 and Windows 10
Post Reply    New Topic    New Topic  
Author  Message

bryder2162
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 8:30:58 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 6:24:00 AM

I really like Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08, however, my first love has always been Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06. Therefore, when I upgraded my Windows 7 Professional machine to Windows 10 Pro I had to figure out a way of getting Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 to run on my gaming computer again.

My research quickly revealed that the issue with compatibility lies in DirectX. The newer versions included in every distribution of Windows since Vista may and can cause problems. Tiger Woods 06 was made to work with Directx9.0c and the version that Windows 10 uses is Directx12. So, what is DirectX? Microsoft DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) for handling tasks related to multimedia, especially game programming and video, on Microsoft platforms. Originally, the names of these APIs all began with ''Direct'', such as Direct3D, DirectDraw, DirectMusic, DirectPlay, DirectSound, and so forth. The name DirectX was coined as a shorthand term for all of these APIs (the X standing in for the particular API names) and soon became the name of the collection. When Microsoft later set out to develop a gaming console, the X was used as the basis of the name Xbox to indicate that the console was based on DirectX technology.

My further research indicated that some of the APIs or .dll files used by Directx9.0 are not included with the newer DirectX versions. So, in order to add these files, you have to run what is called the Directx9.0 Standalone Installer. An Internet search will bring up lots of sites that will allow you to download this complete package. The following is one of the best because it offers you complete instructions on how to ''update'' your DirectX: https://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/directx/. This, however, is not all you have to do in order to get Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 to run on your state-of-the-art gaming machine. This leads us to another web site and some more files we need.

That other web site is: http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/dgVoodoo2.html. You will need all the files located in the ''MS'' folder for the dgVoodoo v2.55.2 distribution. Don''t leave that web site without grabbing two more files. They are the D3DRM.dll (Direct3D Retained mode) which hasn''t been a part of the OS since Windows Vista (found in the D3DRM.zip download) and the D3DCompiler_47.dll file (found in the D3DCompiler_47 download). All of these files have to go in the ''bin'' folder of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 BEFORE YOU RUN IT! The location of that “bin” is usually found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06\bin.

Now, you will be able to boot the game without getting an ''out of memory'' message or another message stating that your video card is not supported. One note before I get back to playing, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 does not take too well to the uniws (Univeral Wide Screen) patch. Other than that, enjoy and give this worthy predecessor of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08 another look!

XenonSurf
General Member
No User Image
Italy

Posted: Monday, May 17, 2021 at 9:09:49 AM | IP Logged

Hello bryder,
I too love the TW2006, it's the first I bought many years ago and still would like to install it in Win10 x64 and for sure I will follow your method, thanks very much for posting!
May I ask you: Have you ever succeeded to run TW2006 in Widescreen somehow (preferably in 1920x1080)? Thanks.

Greetings,
XS

DFELD2005
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Friday, May 21, 2021 at 7:28:08 AM | IP Logged

After weeks of Google searching, I found this helpful guidance for modifying my DXWrap.dll for 1920x1080 using a Hex Editor program for Win 10.
https://www.wsgf.org/dr/tiger-woods-pga-tour-06
According to the guidance, I used the following substitution in line 8346 (00020990 on left column)
1920x1080
C7 01 80 07 00 00 C7 02 38 04
I am attempting to attach my modified DXWrap.dll to this message.

File Attachment
Zip File - dll File - Click Here to Download File - 1.47 MB

XenonSurf
General Member
No User Image
Italy

Posted: Friday, May 21, 2021 at 2:19:31 PM | IP Logged

edited by: XenonSurf on Friday, May 21, 2021 at 4:08:00 PM

DFELD2005 said:
"After weeks of Google searching, I found this helpful guidance for modifying my DXWrap.dll for 1920x1080 using a Hex Editor program for Win 10.
According to the guidance, I used the following substitution in line 8346 (00020990 on left column)
1920x1080
C7 01 80 07 00 00 C7 02 38 04
I am attempting to attach my modified DXWrap.dll to this message.

"

Hey DFELD2005,
a big thank you for providing your file, it works if I put the in-game resolution to 800x600, but alas, there is another problem emerging: while the resolution @1920x1080 is perfect on the 3D terrain, some menus are screwed up appearing bigger and you cannot close them, also the 3-click mouse method for swinging is impossible: the round control icon in the game is misplaced in the lower screen side making it impossible to see entirely, so the swing is impossible to carry out.
A pity that there are such problems, otherwise the game runs fine, I also have applied the Win10 fix which works perfectly, but I''m afraid I must play this game in its proposed resolutions and switch my monitor to 4:3 viewing.
Unless you have some ideas to correct these flaws...

Greetings!

XenonSurf
General Member
No User Image
Italy

Posted: Friday, May 21, 2021 at 4:13:20 PM | IP Logged

I have now followed the wsgf.org page instructions to try other resolutions and it works fine for me with 1400x1050, still black borders but much better than the default 1024x768, the menus are also ok as well as the 3-click swing. I will now try other resolutions to see if I can improve. 

DFELD2005
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Friday, May 21, 2021 at 6:37:09 PM | IP Logged

Thanks for the follow-up comments and for sharing your discoveries.
Maybe this forum could host a collection of modified DXWrap.dll files for brave TW06 owners to try out with their installation? 

XenonSurf
General Member
No User Image
Italy

Posted: Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 12:45:38 PM | IP Logged

edited by: XenonSurf on Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 12:53:00 PM additions

How to chose the best resolution to play TW2006...

To make sure everyone can reproduce the steps I did, I''m posting here additional information to the instructions of the wsgf.org page.

Please read the instructions in the link here, you will need a Hex editor to modify your DXWrap.dll file which is located in your game bin folder.

The starting situation is this:
By modifying the DXWrap.dll file to be the native resolution of your monitor and one that your GPU can support, the 3D world in the game will look ok, but the icons for the swing and the menus may be wrong, you will have to try out to see it for yourself, if they show right, then the better for you, you can leave it as is and play. If they show wrong (which most probably they will), you must do what I explain in the following.

In my case, I''m plugged to a 60Hz monitor with native resolution of 1920x1080, but in your case this may differ, your native resolution is the largest possible you see in your Nvidia Control Panel (or similar control panel if you have an AMD card) in the ''change resolution'' section, plus other smaller resolutions listed.
You will have to modify the DXWrap.dll file by chosing all sorts of resolutions which your GPU can support, trying from the largest after your native resolution to the lower ones and see in the game if the menus and the swing icon will show correctly.

IMPORTANT: In the game video options, you must chose 800x600 resolution, whatever value you input in the DXWrap.dll file.

In my case, my Nvidia Control Panel shows these supported resolutions:

1920x1080 (native)
1680x1050
1600x1024
1600x900
1400x1050
etc, smaller resolutions

Again, in your case this may be different. If your native resolution doesn''t work, modify the DXWrap.dll file and enter the 2nd highest in the list (in my case 1680x1050) and see if it works, then 1600x1024 etc...It doesn''t matter if the resolution is not widescreen 16:9, in the scaling options of the Nvidia Control panel you keep the first option and scaling by ''Display'', this will have the effect that you may get black borders but the image will be right in size, that''s the best you can hope for; if you chose other scaling options the image will fill the screen but will be incorrect, stretched which you don''t want and isn''t fun to play with.

In my case the 1400x1050 worked for me, it shows only little black borders left and right and the image is correctly scaled, also the swing icon shows correctly and is exactly round, all the menus are accessible. In your case you may get lucky and it will work for you at a larger resolution, that''s what I hope for you :)

I hope this is helpful, if you don''t get what the above link instructions do exactly, then feel free to ask, but you will have to handle the file DXWrap.dll with a hex editor, there is no turn-around to this.

Greetings,

DFELD2005
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 9:48:59 AM | IP Logged

edited by: DFELD2005 on Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 1:32:00 PM more accurate description

Hey XenonSurf, you created an excellent Tutorial for present and future fans of TW06. Following your guidance with my Lenovo laptop, I was not able to devise a wide screen DXWrap that includes the whole 3-click meter at the bottom (just the upper 1/4). I will continue to monitor this Forum for additional suggestions. Maybe there is a way to move the 3-click meter upward without changing DXWrap? Best Wishes. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 11:46:37 AM | IP Logged

Hello guys, DFEld2005 you don t see the 3 click meter at all or you only see a part of the 3 click meter ?
When you see a part of the 3 click meter then you can move it anywhere you want.
Go with mouse over the 3 click meter and hold the right button of your mouse, and now drag the 3 click meter where you want it, while holding the right button of your mouse. 

XenonSurf
General Member
No User Image
Italy

Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 11:50:11 AM | IP Logged

edited by: XenonSurf on Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 12:08:00 PM

DFELD2005 said:
"Hey XenonSurf, you created an excellent Tutorial for present and future fans of TW06. Following your guidance with my Lenovo laptop, I was not able to devise a wide screen DXWrap that includes the 3-click meter at the bottom. I will continue to monitor this Forum for additional suggestions. Maybe there is a way to move the 3-click meter upward without changing DXWrap? Best Wishes."

I remember that years ago I''''ve tried to locate the swing meter and the course overhead files and modify them so that their grafics will appear smaller in the game, and so fitting with higher resolutions, but I failed to do so.

The only real remedy is to work on the 2 files named

swingoff.dds
swingon.dds

which are located in
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 06\Data\Images\Game\SwingMeter

You would need to load them in a program that can read dds files, then change the grafic to be smaller and / or change the grafic position in the game, so the grafic can fit at higher resolutions.
I think I have such a tool for another game (Silent Hunter series) able to read dds files, but I''''''''m not sure I can handle the content correctly to achieve this purpose. And would it work? I don''''''''t know.

Tip: If you own TW2008, TW2007, there are similar files at the same locations in their game directory, take them, copy-paste them into TW06 and rename them accordingly; maybe this will work. (Be sure to backup the original files first.)

XenonSurf
General Member
No User Image
Italy

Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 1:02:43 PM | IP Logged

Gunpower61 said:
"Hello guys, DFEld2005 you don t see the 3 click meter at all or you only see a part of the 3 click meter ?
When you see a part of the 3 click meter then you can move it anywhere you want.
Go with mouse over the 3 click meter and hold the right button of your mouse, and now drag the 3 click meter where you want it, while holding the right button of your mouse."

Oh WOW... And I missed that all these years :)
In this case I will return immediately to change the dxwrap.dll file to 1920x1080.

Thank you, thank you, Thank you, thank you, Thank you, thank you, paste ad libitum... 

DFELD2005
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 1:30:33 PM | IP Logged

edited by: DFELD2005 on Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 1:42:00 PM clarifications

OH WOW !!! Right-Click-Drag REALLY WORKS !!!! THANK YOU !!! And as a bonus, looks like lots of overlays are movable. BUT, this still leaves the problem of the [Close] button below the screen after choosing the Options menu within an active game. This is not a problem if all Options are selected before starting a game... 

XenonSurf
General Member
No User Image
Italy

Posted: Sunday, May 23, 2021 at 3:57:30 PM | IP Logged

DFELD2005 said:
"OH WOW !!! Right-Click-Drag REALLY WORKS !!!! THANK YOU !!! And as a bonus, looks like lots of overlays are movable. BUT, this still leaves the problem of the [Close] button below the screen after choosing the Options menu within an active game. This is not a problem if all Options are selected before starting a game..."

The only problem now are some menus: the Scorecard, the Option and the Leaderboard menu. Don't chose Options while on a course, chose it in the main menu. The scorecard and leaderboard will be 'cut' but it's still enough to see them, use Esc key to go out. 

There are 1 active members online
nort2,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Tiger Woods PGA Tour 06 and Windows 10 - Page 1 Loaded in 0.359 seconds
Thursday, March 28, 2024 @ 9:34:14 PM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.