Royal Portrush
Post Reply    New Topic    New Topic  
Author  Message

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 10/30/1976 (47)

Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 1:12:02 AM | IP Logged

This has been a plan of mine for a year to attempt to build this course in real time while watching the Open. Know nothing about Portrush, never seen it so need the TV coverage to design it and kind of learn it. Interesting enough back in 2004, could find more info on the internet for Royal Troon. The google earth maps are kind of blurry to be honest you really have no course maps or yardage guide that I could find for Portrush. Just downloaded the hole flyovers from YouTube and mixed them in to a video. This is going to be interesting project and if it can be completed in a reasonable time.

Over the last month decided to complete a project I started back in 2016, that is Turnberry. Since they change that course again it was kind of hard to create. Even though I have massive amounts of video from old Turnberry Opens. In the end, decided to do a hybrid Turnberry which is a mix of the changes and the old course. It turned out amazing it is a mind blowing work of course design. Knew this course was going to be a massive problem with the Ocean holes.

When I am done with Portrush, you are going to get three gems, Portrush, Turnberry, and a revised Royal Troon.  

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 1:20:14 AM | IP Logged

Here is Brooks Koepka on 16 at Turnberry

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 7:50:14 AM | IP Logged

Looking great Hyno, thanks for sharing the pics. 

dawg8
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

B-Day: 12/20/1946 (77)

Posted: Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 3:44:17 PM | IP Logged

Hyno...are these course for TW 08 or TW 07 ??? 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 at 11:02:37 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Monday, July 22, 2019 at 1:37:00 AM

Here is a bit of an update, had to create a cast of characters. Created Lowry, Rahm and Fleetwood with custom designed clothes.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Friday, July 19, 2019 at 11:08:02 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Monday, July 22, 2019 at 2:46:00 AM

I mostly do 07 courses. Not sure what I am going to do with Portrush as of yet.  

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 12:55:50 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 1:14:00 AM

Didn''t even know the CGX guys did this course and the other course at Portrush as well. Even had the valley course already downloaded and installed. Wanted to look at the CGX course, the frame rate is very choppy on my old XP machine but whatever. My mind doesn''t think the way they designed this course with the rough mixes and shadings, just that alone is really impressive. Even though the blending of some of the color textures is terrible in places. They used the course as a pano along with the pano which was really cool. Than the effect and the extras with the surrounding landscape around the 5th hole, blew me away. They built the beach cliff walls and walls in to the landscape. Just did Turnberry and didn''t want to mess with a rock wall cause I was not good enough to blend it in to the terrain so I cheated and just used the weed rough. You can see that on the picture uploaded with Tiger putting on the 10th green.

One of the problems with this game is when you get close to the boarders you can flip the pano. The hitting in to the 5th green or driving at the green from the tee, it is easy to flip the pano

This was my concern before building the course. Wanted to see what the CGX guys did. They put water as the ocean than ran it out far enough so the pano doesn''t flip. Right now not sure what I am going to do. The way I will start the course is doing the cliff wall on 5, 6 and runs down the new 7th which from the TV coverage they said it is about 30 to 40 feet above the sand beaches.

Right now have a rough draft of the holes and will do holes 1-11 and 18 than fit the rest in to the course later.

Been doing courses for 15 years now, you learn from your mistakes. Pano flipping was for sure one of my mistakes Just went through the revised Troon which is the original 04 file and I still have mistakes in the core layout. Carnoustie and Muirfield have core mistakes. When I got to St. George''s was when I got much better on doing these courses. Than on the last few have gone back to 04 retro textures however Birkdale, Liverpool and Lytham the foundations were done correct. Turnberry is no different and it may be my best one.

Portrush, I think will turn out well many of the greens from studying are raised greens with all kinds of fall offs and you kind of have the Carnoustie blending like the 7th green to the 8th tee with fairway and rough running out on both holes were you trace the shapes merging the shaping in to both holes. I know that makes no sense, trust me it looks cool in the game. Looking forward to doing the 10th hole, the green is only 10 yards wide and 45 yards long and the hole has zero bunkers. 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 1:17:43 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Monday, July 22, 2019 at 1:41:00 AM

One last thing after the PGA this year, decided that I wanted to do Bethpage, so ordered the yardage books. On my YouTube channel which may be blocked in some countries have all 4 rounds of the Bethpage PGA uploaded. Just completed the 04 PGA and when I get a chance will upload that. My goal last year was to complete the 91 PGA that should be done later this year. Sub my youtube channel, if you want to see cool golf stuff. I am censored and shadow banned for reasons unknown. The old channel had 50 million views before they shut it down.

1999 British Open - Final Round

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 at 2:00:54 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Monday, July 22, 2019 at 2:05:00 AM

Because I recorded the entire event it was kind of hard to do real time designing, can''t pause the TV while recording. These majors are a bit too much, really haven''t even slept much over the last four days. The way I do golf is like so, been doing this since 2011. Record everything to DVD, record in FR80 mode (1h 20 minutes per DVD) than rip the DVD''s, using VOB2MPG v3, Than create fresh frame tables and and go in an edit the commercials out of the recordings than render a final mpeg2 DVD quality with 384 AC-3 for audio. Final render for a 4 hour recording takes about 3 hours to render. Round 2 which the coverage started at 1:30 in the morning in the 1st hour of coverage Golf Channel / NBC had 14 commercial breaks. The complete day 2 coverage was about 14 1/2 hours of live TV, fully edited the round is about 11 hours long.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 at 2:24:10 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Monday, July 22, 2019 at 2:38:00 AM

This post is my personal web blog and an A-Z guide on building this course. Portrush in my opinion is the best British Open course and I waited my entire life to see it. This project is nothing more than my love of watching British Opens for about 34 years now. Started recording them in 87 and have every single final round and in many cases other rounds on tape and since 2007 digital.

1st thing had to do was that cliff wall and get the pano to work correct. That is done. Than started messing around with the holes, everything is rough cut. Even the textures are not even set in stone. Than did the cast of custom characters. The next few posts are pics of the characters and rough cut pics of the course.

Watching the TV coverage everyone was trying to drive the 5th green. Wanted to set this hole up in that manor giving a direct line to the green and under normal condition with a good power rating the player can drive this green. Over the cliff is OB and it is narrow.

Here is our Champion Golfer with all his current sponsors, from the hat logo to the three custom shirt logos.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 at 2:27:37 AM | IP Logged

Here is Jon Rahm, he seems to love this outfit cause he wears it a lot. The key to doing these texmods is creating cool belts.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, July 22, 2019 at 2:34:39 AM | IP Logged

Here is Tommy Fleetwood, he won a tournament wearing this shirt and thought it was a cool shirt to design. He also likes white pants and white shoes.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:00:01 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:30:00 AM

From Texmodding this Tiger Woods game, you can get my mod on this site for the 07 game. Custom outfits, drivers and ect. Than texmodding the entire John Madden football game creating custom uniforms for all the college teams. Than doing thousands of textures for Fallout 3 and New Vegas. In the Fallout series the game allows you to extract textures and than you can create new ones adding them to the game in the GECK editor. That leads to my next post on my Portrush web blog.

Note: (If I never messed around with Texmods, would have never figured this out)

This is extremely advanced and if used correct it can change this game.

From day #1 with the 07 and 08 game, it was almost impossible to create good base textures that holds the terrain. To get the best results you need to use Stock weed rough from the stock courses.

From texmodding, noticed the main textures had two textures to it. In the LC we can only create 1 texture.

Pulled the stock texture from Riviera and built it in the LC and this is what it looks like.

It looks nothing like the texture used in the Riviera library it actually looks terrible.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:11:14 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:33:00 AM

What we do is find a texture in the game that we like. I am using K-Club 08.

In TexMod

Pull the base texture and the grass effects in TGA format.

Next in the .png format you pull the glossy texture that covers the weed rough.

Three textures that is it.

Than out of that we create our replacement textures.

For the grass effects I took a video still of my DVD recording of the event and pulled a sample from the actual course, did the same for the redish tint bunkers.

Than for the base texture and replacement texture used a few sources.

What we get in the end is something that looks absolutely amazing on this course.

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:13:46 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 12:14:00 AM

Again the course is in early stages, here is a look down the 18th hole with our replacement rough texture that can only be built using TexMods.

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 at 7:12:21 AM | IP Logged

Looks very good Hyno, thanks for sharing the previews. 

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 9:47:49 PM | IP Logged

When designing Turnberry with the new holes had to go to youtube and design them from watching Mark Crossfield videos of him and his buddies playing the course. I did the 4th hole from his video, needless to say that was before they changed it. I liked the old hole so much, was like you know what just going to leave it, don't need to move that green on top of dunes. The 5th hole they turned in to a Par 5. Again was able to get some amazing mounding work and overall design from the old Mark Crossfield videos, was like you know what, not going to change it. 17 and 18 from the old classic Turnberry films didn't want to change the bunkers nor the tee shot on 18. Wanted the spot were Nicklaus blocked his tee shot right in to the gorse bushes, than birdied the hole from the Scottish jungle. Holes 5, 9, 10, 11, 14, 15 and 16 made all the new updated changes. That leads to the next point found YouTube videos from this newer golf game called, The Golf Club. Used the flyovers of Trump's Turnberry to help build this course.

Portrush is also in that game, and many people have uploaded full 18 holes of coverage, just with that coverage alone has given me enough info. The designers of that game added things like a fence line on 4 which is not on the course but it looks good in the game. The course and layout is very accurate and well done.

Royal Portrush will complete the Hyno Designs British Open collection. Decided to produced a video of all my updated splash screens and course music. Course music since day 1 was big with me, using a bootleg of In the Light on Merion which started my design career. It is understood in 08 the course specific music is gone, however I'm still one of the few 07 designers around. Portrush will be released for 08 as well since it is a hybrid 07 and 08 course. This video shows the new course Music and splash screens for both Turnberry and Portrush than all the other courses as well.

Hyno Designs - British Open Collection (Splash & Music) Tiger Woods PC

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Monday, July 29, 2019 at 7:34:19 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 12:47:00 AM

This real time web blog has a lot of good information, basically documenting the journey.

I am an old school designer and way out of date with the times, dig the courses out of the dirt on flat land plots. As stated above, started this course putting in a 35 foot ocean cliff. Than raised up the area around the 4th hole to the 5th tee. The way the ocean cliff works, the Ocean is at the base and than you flatten everything out to max and you run it out for hundreds of yards. Needless to say by doing this I messed up the elevations all over the place. This course is weird cause a hole like #6, you have tons of other holes around it. 5, 7, 8, 9,10 & 11.

Lets take the 9th and 11th greens, you have tons of other holes that are close by. Holes 2,3,4,10,12 & 14. Again, being a hand drawer of these courses than plugging the holes in to fit, my accuracy is not great even using google earth. The CGX course was done with the terrain assist program. The placement of the holes and tees is going to be almost perfect. On my course, using the green on 6 as the reference. My tee box on 9 and 11 are off by 30 yards. Why? Cause I scaled the layout wrong with human error. I could move those tees back but it would make 9, 500 yards when the hole is only 435 and 11 like 530 when the hole is only 478.

As stated I am watching YouTube videos of the Portrush course from the Golf Club 2019 game. From my research it took the designer 8 months to built it, working every day on the course. Yesterday decided to stop watching YouTube videos and buy the game. It cost $20 on steam. His Portrush course is the best course I''''''''''''''''ve ever seen designed. The detail and accuracy and tournament effects on a scale of 1-10 is a 10+.

Here is my setup that I am using building this course. Have this computer which is for google earth, youtube videos and the hole flyovers. My windows 10 computer for the CGX course and now the Golf Club 2019 game. My XP designing computer. Than my TV which I built my own DVR and watching over and over all 36 hours of coverage, commercial free, which I can pause, fast forward and rewind and change videos.

Which leads to the point of this post. The 1st course I played on TCG 2019 was a course designed by a designer that I played in real life. To be honest, it blew me away, the accuracy of the elevations, hole layout and everything was pretty much true to form. The shaping was perfect. Never seen anything like it in my life. How could this guy know this stuff and this level of detail? Started watching his videos. If this can be done in the Tiger Woods game it will change everything. The technology he is using, you dont even have to drop bunkers they are already made. His program even lets him copy the measurements of tree sizes. Not to mention absolutely perfect layouts with spot on elevations.

New Tutorial for Lidar, OSM, TGC Designer Tool and TGC 2019 Editing
By: TGC Course Review, designer name, Kent Shaffer

https://youtu.be/YpVf5v1wCuk

Update: Like all good things this tech stuff is not perfect ended up testing his PV course and since that is a course I know well and played about 40 times saw massive amount of errors in the terrain and just horrible planting. The tech stuff for sure can help big time on detail, you still need an eye and creative design work to put the entire package together.  

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 12:32:50 AM | IP Logged

Course update, ended up getting designer "Yips" and basically screwed up big time on some of my terrain work. Doing mounding and elevation shifts. Built the 12th tee which is close to tee 4 and 3 green and tried to make it look like the TV image with massive mounding to the left of the tee. Since I don't have a lot of space this ended up looking abominable. Than completely wrecked the 10th hole with over doing the mounding. The 4th hole and 11, I also screwed up big time on my mounding work. Because my screw ups were so bad decided to go back to an earlier save and lost about 20 hours of work. My new goal is this, to complete holes 1-8 and 11 and 12. Than go from that point. On the new save decided to blow up the 1st hole cause I felt the distance from the 1st green to the 13 tee was to far off and I wanted this effect in the game on the flight of the 2nd shot in to the green. Also for testing decided to use a finer texture for the weed rough to see the details in the mounding and elevation work, which by mistake looks like the textures I used on Birkdale and Lytham, but using the modern textures. Since I have lost the tca on Birkdale due to a hard drive failure no longer have that course, however may test these textures out on Lytham. If they look good will release that course, keeping both up, cause I like those 04 retro textures for some reason, it reminds me of the old 03 / 04 stock Birkdale course.

It took a while to come up with a bunker method for this course, since many of these bunkers don't have sod walls decided to use a cross between the Lytham/Birkdale bunker method and the Oakmont bunkers. How I remember my crazy bunker methods from years ago is beyond me. This hybrid bunker looks really good on this course.  

Hyno Designs
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 5:17:12 AM | IP Logged

edited by: Hyno Designs on Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 3:02:00 AM

Been working on this course a lot of hours per day. This is hard work because the terrain has a lot of movement and the greens for the most part are all raised up with fall offs. Doing a lot of rough shaping off the tees to the fairways, this takes a long time to do. Than I keep screwing up the terrain.

The thing is you get a hole just how you want it, than completely screw up the next hole, than go back to an old save and you have to redo the hole you just got perfect and you can never get the same look you once had.

Hole #11 for whatever reason has been a nightmare. The hole has one bunker, and one main feature on it. It can''t be anymore simple, and I keep getting it wrong, it is crazy. Decided after working countless hours each and everyday to take a break. Decided to do some more texmodding over the next few days. The next few posts are going to showcase the JOHN DALY clothing collection at Royal Portrush.

This course would not have been possible if the CGX guys didn''t build it first. Who ever built the Pano on this, did just an amazing job. That PANO makes the course. Than you add in my Texmodding of the texture creation making a stock weedrough which as I stated earlier is ground breaking in course design for this game.

Page of 3
<< Prev. Page ? Next Page >>

There are 1 active members online
Micko1,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Royal Portrush - Page 1 Loaded in 0.766 seconds
Friday, March 29, 2024 @ 5:34:09 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.