CourseDownloads.com Logo
Welcome Guest - Login | Register
 Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Playing simulation style ~ Online (and off) - Page 1

Menu:  Tiger Woods Forum : General
Playing simulation style ~ Online (and off)
Post Reply    New Topic    New Topic  
Author  Message

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 11/18/1961 (62)

Posted: Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 2:47:56 PM | IP Logged

edited by: Gunpower61 on Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 3:08:00 PM

Hey guys .... if anyone still plays online with Game Ranger, I''m still looking for those who are interested in more sim style game play. Basically I look at sim style game play is trying to emulate the difficulty level found in the real game of golf. After all, we all sometimes look to play with real courses, real players, real equipment, even their real apparel. So why not try to work in a sim style of game play.

I find a lot of guys online who have a hard time hitting a bad shot too often. The mentality is "I can''t handle the higher levels", but then turn around and shoot a -5 to -7 for 9 holes regularly. But look up the top golfers in the world and their average round scores; it''s typically 69-70 per 18 holes, meaning an average of -12 to -8 for a 4 day round. Yet many guys don''t think they should ever shoot over par for even 9 holes. Just not realistic. I mean this is like saying when you play a football game you should score 80+ points a game or a basketball game and you score 300 points!

I''m proposing to play in a manner to make it tough. Golf is tough by design. I''m not saying this should be a drudgery, but feel rewarded when you make a good shot and when you make a mistake, you pay for it. Hey, I know this mentality isn''t for everyone, but for those who have the same viewpoint, I''d love to play with you and we would have some great matches: guaranteed!

So how can this be accomplished? First off, anything other than 3Click or TrueSwing just won''t cut it. Some say the roller ball mouse is difficult to control, but not many guys seem to have this piece of hardware. Game controllers can be too forgiving and you''d have to judge your gamepad controller as such. Basically if a gamepad controller is hitting a straight shot every time, that''s not sim style play.

Simulation game play:

*Level: Advanced or Expert. These levels are going to provide a much better experience especially considering the ball lie. On intermediate, ball lie just doesn''t affect the ball as much. (And basically no one should be playing on novice unless you just got the game and are getting familiar with it). I know some guys think they "have to" have the putting grid. But when was the last time you saw a putting grid on a real course? Yes, it can be tough to read the putting surface, but in time it is possible to read them better and better. Even on real courses, putting surfaces fool golfers all the time. So even on Advanced, consider keeping the putting grid to Off. You can get a feel by looking at the tilt of your putter and the cup, changing your camera views, and of course watching how the ball goes past the hole, if it does, on the approach shot.

*Playing surface: Dry and Very Dry. In my experience "Normal" is just plain sticky. It acts more like a wet surface. Very dry is more PGA level, like you would see at The Masters. However, some courses just don''t handle very dry very well as the designer may not have anticipated that a cup will be placed at a poor location on the green.

*"Foot" slider: The slider at the bottom to adjust height of the ball path is a nice simple ball address adjustment. However, it''s typically too easy to "dial a distance" when attempting a shot. No one shuffles their feet on a golf course to get the right distance. You typically set your feet in usually one of 3, maybe 4, positions at address and adjust your swing. I think this is where EA got the game wrong. My suggestion is setting the slider either to the extreme left, right or center. Of course, online this would take using the honors system since you can''t see what the other guy is doing with that slider.

*Swing Type: mainly 3Click and TrueSwing are going to bring the most variability. Again, this would be in relation to the skill level you''re using. Now if you''re killing it, for example, with 3Click on Advanced, e.g., -4 or -5 every 9 holes, but you don''t really like expert mode because you don''t want to look up the distances all the time, try play without the "E" key and the grid and see how much your scores differ. With TS, don''t edge, not even with your finger; and don''t program your mouse to hit straight every single time. You can''t program a golf club to do that, so why do that with your mouse? Swing free hand.

*Aim arrow: there is a "no aim arrow mod" which simply makes the aim arrow transparent. This is similar to Links 2003. Last time I checked there''s not a giant gray arrow at the end of golf clubs! Consider giving it a try.

link: http://www.coursedownloads.net/extras/details.asp?id=874

If you want to meet up and give this a go, it''s easier than it looks. It''s all a matter of how you want to play the game: arcade style or simulation style.

On Game Ranger, I''m "Gordo", account no. 9319148
You can PM me here as well 

megasoid
General Member
United States of America

Posted: Friday, May 4, 2018 at 12:21:13 AM | IP Logged

im ready 2 play lan lobby  

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 11/18/1961 (62)

Posted: Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 7:11:49 PM | IP Logged

And where exactly do you plan on playing a LAN game? What server? Or do you mean IP 2 IP? 

joshuajays
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2020 at 8:27:59 AM | IP Logged

This is basically my mindset, make the game as difficult as possible without over doing it. So yeah I play on Advanced with TS and grids off. And I never look at my hands when I swing cause that's cheating 😁.  

There are 1 active members online
Holein1,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Playing simulation style ~ Online (and off) - Page 1 Loaded in 0.171 seconds
Friday, April 26, 2024 @ 4:29:12 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.