Returning to TW 03 after TW 08 installed
Post Reply    New Topic    New Topic  
Author  Message

jeffprest
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

Posted: Tuesday, February 2, 2016 at 6:29:09 PM | IP Logged

I had TW03 on my laptop running fine. I installed TW08 18 months ago on the same machine without touching anything on the 03 version. Now I have tried to play TW03 but it won't start, either from my desktop icon or the '03 courses CD.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a way round it without re-installing 03?  

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

B-Day: 4/30/1961 (62)

Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 2:04:36 AM | IP Logged

Hiya Jeff, are you running XP,Vista, Win7, Win8 or Win10.
And do you receive error message when you try to start TW03 ? 

jeffprest
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 9:05:32 AM | IP Logged

Hi Gunpower. Thanks for replying.

I've actually remembered this morning that I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 a few months ago, so I'm assuming that's the problem. I get absolutely no response, not even an error message, when I try to fire the game up, either from my desktop or the Courses disk.

Is it worthwhile re-installing TW2003 or do it and Windows 10 not like each other? 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 10:55:01 AM | IP Logged

Hello Jeff,

Yes i think it is worth to try to reinstall TW03 when needed.
Not sure you already did the compatibility thing on TW03.
It is worth to try the steps below, before you reinstall TW03
When you have to reinstall TW03, then you also have to do the compatibility steps below:

On desktop you should have TW03 program icon.
This is how you can get the TW03 icon on your desktop:
Go to the bin folder in TW03, see path below:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Sports\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 03\bin

Now inside the bin folder right click the TW03.exe icon, and in list choose: Copy to...and choose: Desktop
Now you will have the Tw03 icon on your desktop.
Now you will have to run TW03 in compatibility mode, see help below.

Automatically Change Compatibility Mode Settings for App in Program Compatibility Troubleshooter:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right click on TW03 icon on desktop, and click/tap on: Troubleshoot compatibility
Click/tap: Continue
Then click second option: Continue troubleshoot program
Now choose option on top: Try recommended settings
And click: Test program
Now TW03 should start, when it started close TW03 again
Now click: Next......and choose the option on top: Save the settings for this program
After that TW03 should work.
Important note: When you do the compatibility thing, it is possible your system will say it will not work in compatibility mode or TW03 will not start, but just finish the steps above and restart your PC.

bangus
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 10:57:37 AM | IP Logged

Many older games just don't run period on these newer operating systems. Should you install? Probably more a case of CAN you install. ;) 

jeffprest
General Member
No User Image
United Kingdom

Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 6:57:31 PM | IP Logged

I fear you're right. Have reinstalled, followed all compatibility instructions but nothing happening. Looks like its TW08 only from now on.  

Gordo
General Member
United States of America

B-Day: 11/18/1961 (62)

Posted: Wednesday, February 3, 2016 at 11:55:48 PM | IP Logged

I think the short answer for running these older games is to either partition your current hard drive or install another hdd and install XP or W7 on it for the purpose of running these games. W10 has been very frustrating for many with these older games. 

bangus
General Member
No User Image
Canada

Posted: Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 7:42:37 AM | IP Logged

edited by: bangus on Thursday, February 4, 2016 at 11:07:00 AM

I reinstalled Links 2003 the other day to extract some sound files and boy is that game dated. I just stick with whatever games are newest and that run on my OS. 

DFELD2005
General Member
No User Image
United States of America

Posted: Saturday, January 30, 2021 at 8:56:38 PM | IP Logged

I attempted another round of installing my ReCycle/ReUse Store copy of TW03 (3 CDs) on my Win 10 laptop.
This time I had better success, likely due to my accumulating experience with other old versions of TW PGA Tours.
After the initial installation was completed, I added the following extra DLL files to the bin directory.
DDraw.dll (Jo Summer version) and d3dx7.dll (from my SysWOW64 directory).
And, I found a NoCD fix TW2003.exe on the internet.
And I used the "uniwis.exe" patch utility to edit my DXWrap.dll file for better widescreen viewing. I employed the built-in finder for TW2005 to patch my TW2003 DXWrap file. The 2 built-in finders for TW2004 did not work for me.

AND, I used this Compatibility Mode setting inside the shortcut to TW2003: Windows 98 / Windows Me
AND, I used this text in the Target command:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA SPORTS\Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2003\Bin\TW2003.exe" /NOINTRO

I hope some of this information will help other TW PGA Tour collectors install their treasures into Win 10. 

Gunpower61
Site Admin
No User Image
Belgium

Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 9:47:28 AM | IP Logged

Thanks DFELD2005, for posting this solution.
I changed it to a sticky topic now. 

There are 1 active members online
woodrot,

Forum Statistics

Tiger Woods Golf Forum - Returning to TW 03 after TW 08 installed - Page 1 Loaded in 0.188 seconds
Saturday, April 20, 2024 @ 10:04:00 AM

Copyright 2024 - CourseDownloads.com
All Rights Reserved - No part of this site may be reproduced or used without express written permission of the CourseDownloads.com Staff

CourseDownloads.com is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.